(101) In the absence of national rules, the following ones are applicable. I
(102) Priority should be given to preventive measures which avoid or reduce the risk of impact.
(103) The effectiveness of shielding structures placed in front of the load bearing structure should be verified.
(104) Expendable members should lose their ability to transmit considerable horizontal forces after failure under impact.
(105) The deformations of the structure after failure of an expendable structural member should be checked to ensure clearance under the deformed structure.
(106) If the danger of impact cannot be eliminated and if a design with expendable members is not possible, the structural safety should be ensured by designing the structural members to have adequate resistance.
126.96.36.199 Detailing oo P(101) In the absence of specific dynamic investigations, the impacted structural members shall be designed such that they can resist also an impact in the opposite direction.
^ P(102) In all cases, where plastic deformations of the impacted structural members are considered to absorb ^ a substantial proportion of the kinetic energy, the ultimate strains shall be checked. The reinforcement shall not O be welded in this case.
(103) The concrete cover outside the outer longitudinal reinforcement should not be taken into account for the
2 determination of the ultimate capacity of the collision zones.
§ Compression reinforcement can only be considered in the design when restrained against buckling (see 188.8.131.52.2
^ (104) Appropriate stirrup reinforcement with small spacing should be provided. For very high impact forces c? even steel encasement to a collision zone may be required.
Insert new subclause after 4.3.6:
Was this article helpful?