You can obtain in-depth information on drinking water plant design issues from the following references.
1. Baker, M. N. The Questfor Pure Water, 2d ed., American Water Works Association, Inc., New York, 1981.
2. White, C. G. The Handbook of Chlorination and Alternative Disinfectants, 3d ed., Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1992.
3. Pedden, T. M. Drinking Water and Ice Supplies and Their Relations to Health and Disease, G. P. Putnam's Sons, The Knickerbocker Press, New York, 1981
4. AWWA. Water Quality and Treatment, 4th ed., McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1990.
5. Pontius, F. W. "SDWA - A Look Back," Jour. AWWA, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 22-24 & 94, February 1993.
6. Pontius, F. W. and Robinson, J. A. "The Current Regulatory Agenda: An Update," Jour AWWA, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 54-63, February 1994.
7. Pontius, F. W. "An Update of the Federal Drinking Water Regs," Jour. AWWA, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 48-58, March 1998.
8. USEPA. The National Public Water System Program, FY 1988 Compliance Report, Office of Drinking Water, Cincinnati, OH, March 1990.
9. Goodrich, J. A., Adams, J. Q ., Lykins, B. W., and Clark, R. M. "Safe Drinking Water from Small Systems: Treatment Options," Jour AWWA, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 49-55, May 1992.
10. USEPA. Technologies for Upgrading Existing or Designing New Drinking Water Treatment Facilities, EPA/625/4- 89/023, Office of Drinking Water, Cincinnati, OH, March 1990.
11- Le Chevallier, M. K., Becker, W. C., Schorr, P., and Lee, R. G. "Evaluating the Performance of Biologically Active Rapid Filters," Jour. AWWA, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 136-146, April 1992.
12. Manem, J. A. and Rittmann, B. E. "Removing Trace-Level Organic
Pollutants in a Biological Filter," Jour. AWWA, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 152157, April 1992.
13. Adam, S. S., Jacangelo, J. G., and Laine, J. M. "Low Pressure Membranes: Assessing Integrity," Jour. AWWA, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 6275, March 1995.
14. McCleaf, P. R. and Schroeder, E. D. "Denitrification Using a Membrane Immobilized Biofilm,-" Jour AWWA, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 77-86, March 1995.
15. Allgerier, S. C. and Summers, R. C. "Evaluating NF for DBP Control with RBSMT," Jour AWWA, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 87-99, March 1995.
16. Castro, K. and Zander, A. K. "Membrane Air-Stripping Effects of Pretreatments;1 Jour AWWA, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 50-61, March 1995.
17. Glaze, W. H. and Kang, J. W. "Advanced Oxidation Process for Treating Ground Water Contaminated with TCE and PCE: Laboratory Studies:'Jour AWWA, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 57-63, May 1988.
18. Glaze, W. H., Kang, J. W., and Aieta, M. "Ozone-Hydrogen Peroxide Systems for Control of Organics in Municipal Water Supplies:' Proceedings of the Second International Conference in the Role of Ozone on Water and Wastewater Treatment, TekTran International Ltd., Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, pp. 233-244, 1987.
19. Haberar, K. and Schmidth, S. N. "The Haberar Process: Combining Contact Flocculation, Filtration, andPAC Adsorption:' Jour AWWA, vol. 83, no. 9, pp. 82-89, September 1991.
20. Stukenberg, J. R. and Hesby, J. C. "Pilot Testing the Haberar Process in the United States;' Jour AWWA, vol. 83, no. 9, pp. 90-96, September 1991.
21. White, B. N., Kiefer, D. A., Morrow, J. H., and Stolarik, G. F. "Remote Biological Monitoring in an Open Finished-Water Reservoir," Jour AWWA, vol. 83, no. 9, pp. 107-112, September 1991.
22. Richardson, K J., Stewart, M. H., and Wolfe, R. L. "Application of Gene Probe Technology to the Water Industry," Jour AWWA, vol. 83, no. 90, pp. 71-81, September 1992.
23. James M. Montgomery, Inc. Water Treatment Principles and Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1985.
You can obtain in-depth information on the Clean Water Act from the following references.
24. Dubrowski, Fran. Crossing the Finish Line. THE ENVIRONMENTAL FORUM. July/August 1997. pp.28-37.
25. Goplerud, C. Peter 111. Water Pollution Law: Milestones from the Past and Anticipation of the Future. NATURAL RESOURCES&ENVIRONMENT. Fall 1995. pp.7-12.
26. Loeb, Penny. Very Troubled Waters. U.S. NEWS & WORLD REPORT, vol.125, no. 12. Sept.28, 1998. pp.39, 41-42.
27. Schneider, Paul. Clear Progress, 25 Years of the Clean Water Act. AUDUBON. September/October 1997. pp.36-47,106-107.
28. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Office of Water. Environmental Indicators of Water Quality in the United States. EPA 841-R-96-002. June 1996. 30 p.
29. The Quality of Our Nation's Water: 1996. Executive Summary of the National Water Quality Inventory: 1996 Report to Congress. EPA 841-S-97-001. April 1998. 197p.
30. U.S. General Accounting Office. Water Quality, A Catalog of Related Federal Programs. GAO/RCED-96-173. 64p.
Was this article helpful?